Recommendations - Code of Ethics
Media and Society Foundation : Code of Ethics applicable to each actor of the certification process, whether permanent or occasional.
He or she must
- Subordinate all his/her actions to the ultimate goal of the Foundation: to improve media quality in the service of democracy and development.
- Never accept to have an ISAS certification audit in a company for which he or she performed a consulting job.
- Apply the guidelines and follow the advice of the Foundation’s Board and Standardization Committee on the interpretation of specific media items in the standard promoted by the Foundation.
- In case of doubt as to standards’ adaptation to regional conditions, seek the advice of the Foundation’s Board, who will rely on independent media experts, close to the region concerned.
- Respect faithfully the confidentiality of information received from candidates to the certification process. Such information cannot be used without the formal agreement of the company involved.
- When he or she accepts a mandate for a given company, inform this company of all personal data, financial information, or other circumstances which might lead to a conflict of interests (having an interest in a competitor, a financial interest in products which might be recommended to the company, personal relations within the company, mandates with competitors, whose identity must however remain confidential, etc.)
Code of ethics of ISAS Auditors
The ISAS Auditor agrees to abide by the following obligations and conditions:
He or She will:
- Respect confidential information concerning a client’s business and not disclose or permit the disclosure of, or use to the certification’s own advantage, any such information without the client’s prior permission.
- Undertake diligently, impartially and honestly, the work of any certification assignment and ensure at all times a high professional standard of work.
- Accept only those certification assignments which the ISAS Auditor is qualified and able to carry out, and should others be engaged to assist with the assignment, use every endeavor to ensure their qualifications and experience are appropriate to undertake the work.
- Disclose to a client any personal or financial interests or other significant circumstances which might influence the work fir that client in any way not stated or implied in the Terms of Reference, in particular:
- Any directorship or interest in any business in competition to the client.
- Any financial interest in goods or services recommended or supplied to the client.
- Any personal relationship with any individual in the client’s company.
- The existence, but not the name, of any current client (of the consultancy or the consultant personally) with competing interests.
- To refrain from undertaking any assignment which would give rise to «·Conflict of Interest·».
- Where required, provide the client with a clear written proposal identifying the objectives, scope of certification and fee or fee basis for the proposed certification assignment. In the event of subsequent material changes being required, submit to the client, for his acceptance, a revised proposal.
- Accept full responsibility to maintain effective communications with the client and supply appropriate reports and documentation.
- Take care that credit for the work of others is given to those to whom it is due.
- Endeavour to aid the professional development and advancement of those in the certification’s employ or under the auditor’s supervision.
- Not compete unfairly with other auditors.
- Not work as a Quality Consultant in the same organisation where he/she was involved as Certification Auditor.
Conditions to use the ISAS MEDIA 9001 standard
ISAS MEDIA 9001 standard is public and can be freely used by any media organization. Consulting firms willing to use it should be accredited by the Media and Society Foundation. Individual consultants and auditors evaluating media organizations according to the ISAS MEDIA 9001 universal standard must be duly trained in compliance with ISO 19011 requirements.
Please note that original versions of ISAS MEDIA 9001:2016 are English and French. They serve as references. Other versions were kindly translated by our partners, but their conformity is not guaranteed.